Friday, April 6, 2018

Jenn Windrow - An Author Interview in the HBS Author's Spotlight

Today our blog puts the Spotlight on Author Jenn Windrow. She is the Award winning author of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance. Jenn is the author of the Redeeming Cupid series and the Alexis Black series.

Author: Jenn Windrow

Author Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Fantasy

Website: Jenn Windrow
Author's Blog: Jenn Windrow
Twitter: @jenmwindrow
E-Mail: jennifer.windrow@gmail.com
Goodreads: Check Out Goodreads
Facebook: Check Out Facebook

Amazon Author Profile



Author Description:
Jenn Windrow loves characters that have a pinch of spunk, a dash of attitude, and a large dollop of sex appeal. Top it all off with a huge heaping helping of snark, and you've got the ingredients for the kind of fast paced stories she loves to read and write. Home is a suburb of it's-so-hot-my-shoes-have-melted-to-the-pavement Phoenix. Where she lives with her husband, two daughters, and a slew of animals that seem to keep following her home, at least that's what she claims.


SPOTLIGHT Questions and Answers with the Author

Congratulations on your book: Pricked by Thorns. What do you have on the drawing board next? Can you tell us the timeline for its release and give us a little tease?

I am currently working on a new Urban Fantasy called Tweaking Talisman. Think The Portrait of Dorian Grey meets Breaking Bad set in a traveling Freak show. I'm hoping to have it released in time for Phoenix Comicfest which is May 24th.

Do you do any book signings, interviews, speaking and personal appearances? If so, when and where is the next place where your readers can see you? Where can they keep up with your personal contacts online?

I'll be at Dog Eared Books in Phoenix on April 21st for their Authorpolooza. Phoenix Comicfest - May 24, 25, and 26th. Then in October, I am doing a For the Love of Books event in Phoenix.

You have great covers. They carry a theme and your brand with them. How does your book cover creation process work? Do you hand over the basic theme or do you have more of a hands-on approach? Do you get your readers involved in its development?

I graduated from the University of Arizona with a degree in Fine Arts and worked as a graphic designer before becoming a writer, so my covers were very important to me. For the paranormal romance books, my publisher actually does the covers for me, but I had a lot of influence in the end product.

For my Urban Fantasy, I went out and found an artist who had work similar to the look and feel that I wanted for that cover. I just hired another cover designer for the new one I am working on. I'm pretty hands on with my covers and I develop boards on Pinterest devoted to my characters and settings and other covers that I love, so I have a pretty good idea when I start a project what I would like.

You have written a short story called Swallowed By Darkness. Can you tell us if it had an impact on the sales of your novels? Are shorty’s one of your styles of writing or are they created to give readers a sample of your work?

Swallowed By Darkness was my very first story I ever had published. It was a small science fiction publication, and the most exciting thing in the world to me. Once I got my rights back, I threw it up on Amazon to test the waters of self publishing. Honestly, most of the time I forget it is there. I'm actually in the process of reediting the story and having a new cover done for it. It's going to become a promotion piece for me to give away at signings. A small bound book that can give them as a thank you for buying a book.

What writer support groups do you belong to? Do they help with the writing, marketing and the publishing process?

I used to belong to a weekly meet-up, but stopped once I started to collect critique partners. Now I have a very close group of 5-6 writers I work with every week to help me develop my stories. I adore my writer friends and my stories would be nothing without them.

What is your primary genre? What has been your best marketing approach to this group?

I adore writing Urban Fantasy. I love the action and snark I can put into the story. My van fire based Urban Fantasy, Evil's Unlikely Assassin is my baby. I sold out of that title on the first day of Tucson Festival of Books, just by saying the word vampire.

What has been your experience in giving your books away free? Have you been involved in any other type of giveaways and how did that work out? What was your main goal in doing this? Did you run into any obstacles?

I've joined all kinds of Facebook promo groups and give eBooks away as prizes. I'm not sure I've really seen anything come from it though. I also give books away for reviews, and that has gotten me some good results and feedback. Mostly, I just want people to read what I've written and be entertained.

Do you maintain a reader list? What are the methods you use to find your readers and create the list and the relationship? Do you use social media, forums, newsletters and/or support groups to build your list?

I do...well kind of. I have an Author Fan Site called Windrow's Warriors on Facebook, all people who have read my books. They are my go t when I have a new book release. But I also have a newsletter list and most every other social media available. I'm not always as active as I would like to be, but I am hoping to get better with that this next year.

What is your method of getting reviews for your novels? Do you seek professional reviews, use social media or do you rely on your reading audience to supply them?

I have a company that will help me send out ARC's to readers for a review. Then I hope I have enough new readers or old readers that will be happy to leave me a review, hopefully all good :)

The Tucson Festival of Books 2018 was a great event, enjoyed by thousands. A Book festival is a unique selling situation. How did you prepare for the festival? Did it meet your goals? If you had to do something different next year, what would that be?

Go through my books, order what I need, and then print out my handy checklist that helps me remember everything I need to bring. Other than that, I go on social media and promote my appearance at whatever festival or Con I am going to be attending. Have enough copies of my titles to sell, I sold out of one of my titles on the first day. It was wonderful, but I could have sold the same amount the second day too.





Author's Book List
Pricked by Thorns - A Redeeming Cupid Novel #3
She’s got a countdown clock on love and its tick-tock-ticking her off.

At the age of six, surfer/model Alicia Garis was cursed by Cupid, now she has one week left to break it. All she has to do is find her soul mate, feed him poisonous berries, and hope to Hades he doesn’t die. Except she tried that once and it ended in the death of a man she loved.

Ravaged by guilt, she told the winged freak where to shove his heart-tipped arrows and promised herself she would never offer the berries to anyone ever again.

Until she meets Theo Castas, a playboy photographer and master at talking-a-girl-out-of-her-panties. A man who sends her rage-o-meter deep into the red zone. He’s also the real-life version of the dream man Alicia believes could break her curse.

Forced to work together, the lines separating Dream Theo from Real Theo start to blur, and Alicia concedes that Theo Castas may be the man to save her from a life without love. But will Alicia break her promise — and risk Theo’s life — all to save her own heart?


Order the Book From:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
KOBO Store
iTunes Store


Evil's Unlikely Assassin - An Alexis Black Novel #1
Vampire Alexis Black is on a mission - to rejoin the human race.

Coerced into signing an ironclad contract by an Angel-with-attitude, Alexis must hunt down and assassinate at least one vampire, werewolf, or creepy crawly every night for fifty years to become human again. Too bad the contract didn’t mention the badass vampire who now rides shotgun in her brain, insatiable bloodlust, or her new I-hate-everything-with-fangs sidekick. If she can fulfill her end of the bargain, her humanity is restored, if not she will be destroyed.

But when a revenge-seeking bloodsucker threatens her city, Alexis must risk everything to ensure there’s a humanity to return to. Since her vampire nature is her greatest weapon to defeat the monsters that threaten her friends and future, Alexis must choose to accept her inner beast or watch those she loves die.


Order the Book From:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
KOBO Store
iTunes Store


Pierced by Venom - A Redeeming Cupid Novel
Gia Adler had it all—a charmed life and her true love to share it with. But moments after she murmurs, “I do,” her ex-boyfriend delivers a lead wedding present into her new husband’s chest, leaving him in a coma and shattering her dreams.

Hell-bent on ruining her future, Gia’s psychotic ex-boyfriend then abducts her, transporting her to an underground world of destruction, drugs, and death. He’s no wicked witch and they’re in no enchanted forest. He’s evil incarnate and she’s submerged in hell-on-earth, a twisted thing of nasty nightmares.

Gia must fight for her happily-ever-after—and her true love—by facing down her ex and the demons of her past.


Order the Book From:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
KOBO Store
iTunes Store


Struck by Eros - A Redeeming Cupid Novel Book 1
One jaded woman. Two hot men. A challenge to prove Cupid doesn't always know best.

After a lifetime of dating losers, Noel Chase thinks she’s found love with college professor Len Holder. But Cupid's aim sucks worse than his crap-tacular curse, sticking her with supposed soul mate, Grayson Adler. Grayson is gorgeous, Greek, and an exact replica of the man-whores of her past. No matter what the chubby cherub thinks, Noel is sure Grayson is Mr. Wrong with a capital “W.”

Forced to do Cupid’s bidding, Noel must spend her days with Grayson matchmaking the unlucky-in-loves, and trying to resist Grayson’s charm and do-me-now sex appeal. But when Cupid tries to match her fiancĂ©, Len, with another woman, Noel must make an excruciating decision. Defy Cupid and hang on to Len? Or succumb to her fate and trust Grayson with her heart?


Order the Book From:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
KOBO Store
iTunes Store


Swallowed By Darkness - A Soul Stealer Story
After a blind date goes tragically wrong, Hope retreats into a world of solitude and anger and darkness. Darkness so deep that she’s broken and destroyed and can’t find her way out.

Until she meets Daniel.

An angel who has been sent to save her from the Soul Stealer, a fallen angel who marked her soul for the devil. But is Daniel strong enough to save her from her fate and is Hope strong enough to let him?


Order the Book From:
Amazon


Author Recommended by: HBSystems Publications
Publisher of ebooks, writing industry blogger and the sponsor of the following blogs:
Indie Author’s Corner and HBS Mystery Reader’s Circle

No comments:

Post a Comment